Tuesday, March 3
This is just going to be a quick post, as I realized I haven't updated in awhile... We are in the middle of a difficult decision right now that will most likely result in Faith being transferred to another hospital out of state. Right now we are leaning towards Boston, for a number of reasons (Omegaven, their CAIR program, the great doctors). The doctors here aren't necessarily supportive of that plan... we have to wait a couple of days for our insurance to kick in and then I'll be in contact with them (and have our case manager talking to them, too) to see what they'll cover if we have Faith transferred to Boston for intestinal rehabilitation. We won't mention Omegaven, it will just be a happy extra if we go to Boston, but for all insurance purposes, we will be going there for intestinal rehabilitation.
Either way, we will likely be going somewhere with an intestinal rehabilitation program, although Dr. Soden feels it is much more important to go to Pittsburgh and get listed for a transplant, and that we'd get a second opinion and a rehab evaluation while we are there... but I've heard a couple of things now that make Pittsburgh not sound like the best plan... I've found a great deal of support and information from speaking with other short-gut families. Even though Faith has almost all of her intestine, that's essentially what they're classifying her as for now. They say she has "functional" short-gut.
I spent most of last week reading all about Max Munakata, a short-gut baby from Boulder who is also under the care of Dr. Soden and Dr. Partrick. He is an Omegaven success story, and I hope that we'll be able to get together with his family soon to talk about everything and learn all we can from them.
Faith will be 50% to full feeds tonight, if she continues tolerating them. We recently re-started Erythromycin, since we can give it to her intestine, and not her stomach, so it isn't making her vomit like it was before. But her reflux has gotten progressively worse as we've gone up on feeds. Still, her poops have also gotten bigger and more frequent, so maybe things are working better than anyone gives her credit for... Maybe she'll make us go through all of this trying to get things figured out to transfer to a different hospital, and then get better and not have to go. We're not holding our breath though...
Monday, March 2, 2009
Tuesday, March 3